1. Children’s haircuts. I missed the note telling me when it was photo day at day care last year, so Miss 3 looked like a character from Oliver Twist in her class photo. Oops.
2. Manicures and pedicures. Always difficult to find a half an hour, now almost impossible.
3. Catch ups with girlfriends without children. There’s the odd special night out, but the casual catch ups over dinner are few and far between these days. Social events have to include a babysitter in the budget so they end up a lot more expensive.
4. Boozy Friday drinks. Technically still possible, but everyone knows the best Friday nights are the ones that aren’t planned. These days there’s nothing in my life that isn’t planned!
5. Clothes shopping. By the time I get the clothes I already own washed and folded and some fresh food in the house each weekend, the thought of walking into a Westfields and thinking about this season’s colours is no longer my idea of a good time.
6. Tax returns. Ugh. This one may not be related to having children.
7. Car servicing. See 7 above. Difficult and unpleasant tasks but it’s very difficult to find a day to be a little late because you’re catching the courtesy bus when you’re already *that* mum who skates out the door exactly at 5pm.
8. My own haircut. Once upon a time sitting and having foils done, a cut and a blow dry on a lazy Saturday afternoon was a wonderful thing to do. Now my hair appointment starts with a conversation about, “What’s absolutely neccesary this month?”
9. The dentist. When it is ok to take a long lunch break when you can never arrive early or stay late?
10. Buying panty hose. This one is clearly ridiculous. But I like to buy certain brands and they are not always available in my supermarket shop. Making an extra job out of it makes it a lunchtime task when lunchtimes don’t always happen. I need to stock up once a year!
It’s true that you make time in life for the important things.
Although I find it hard to find time for all of these above, I wouldn’t swap any of them for the 2o minutes I spend reading stories at the end of the day.
What do you find it hard to fit into your life?
- The daily commute. Is there such a thing as Mummy Road Rage? (workingmumsaustralia.com.au)
- What’s the Longest You’ve Gone Without Getting a Haircut? (bellasugar.com)